I had a phone screen this morning for a position that I’m only about 60% qualified for. I’m really REALLY good at that 60%, but just not experienced with the other 40% that they’re looking for.
So the guy who called asked me a lot of questions, to see just how much of that 40% I had a basic grasp of – and I honestly didn’t do too well with his questions. Granted, they weren’t very good questions, really general and vague, but I probably could’ve done better than I did.
That being said, when it was all over, he made a couple clucking/thinking noises, and said “ok then, well I’m just doing some preliminary screening right now, and I hope to get back to this round of applicants either later today, or on Tuesday.”
Which brings me to what this post is all about. DUDE! I may not be exactly what you’re looking for, but I’m not stupid! I know that was totally the brushoff. So why can’t interviewers just say “you know, we’re really looking for someone with more XYZ, but thank you for your time.” Because even though I know it was a total brush off, I’m still thinking in the back of my mind “but what if it wasn’t? What if he’s actually going to bring me in for a face to face?” Yah right.
I know I’m going to be an asset to whichever company I end up with – and if I’m not a good fit for that one, it’s ok. Just stop stringing me along!
If I ever end up ina position where I’m interviewing people (and remind me of this if I get there), I’m totally going to be honest. Not mean, I’ll tell them that they’re good in some areas, but not a great fit for this particular job.
I had the same experience last year, when I had a couple of really amazing interviews that I was subsequently and seemingly mysteriously not chosen for. I was hurt and puzzled until I got some answers. For the first one, the company actually decided not to fill the position at all (an inside tip from someone I knew who worked there), even though they sent me a letter saying they “went with another candidate.” For the 2nd interview, I asked the interviewer “why” after her short “thanks but no thanks” response, and she said that although I was a great candidate, 75% of the job would entail doing something I admitted to hating (cold calling). Fair enough.
But why couldn’t they just SAY SO IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!
I know this has turned into a rambling rant, but I’m just sick of the bullshit. That’s all.
UPDATE (1:45pm): I just got the official “thanks but no thanks” email from the aforementioned phone screen. I knew it was coming. He could’ve saved himself the typing time by just saying it on the phone though.